Re: Signaller causes SPAD

$ivt$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> >   "Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:
> > > Here, if it's the signallers fault, it's usually covered up and
the
> > Driver will hear no more about it. I was recently wrong-roaded,
challenged
> > the signal and was told the route was correct. I did my bit, so
after
> > taking the wrong road, I again told the signaller who insisted I
was on
> the wrong
> > > train. Eventually after a big diversion we departed the original
> > location again, 40 minutes late.
> >
> > The only answer is for drivers to challenge the signallers everytime
> > and report every wrong road and signal thrown back in face.
>
> I dont like being a nark. Also I think I'd like to get cut some slack
one
> day when I need it.

I've had to reluctantly break my "no grassing" rule because the
situation is getting so serious. Also signallers no longer cover up for
us so that releases us from our obligations to cover up for them.

> > You would be surprised to know that the powers that be quite often
do not
> have an
> > idea of what's going on
>
> I often comment that they don't.

conveniently get
> > would be interested to know.
> > >
> > > They certainly try, but I'd estimate less than 1% of delays are
> > attributable to Drivers. Passengers cause lots, guards cause lots
waiting
> for
> > passengers.  Signallers cause heaps, especially at night when they
decide
> to have
> > a nap.
> >
> > We are OPO (One person operated) drivers so have no problem with
> > guards. I was a guard before a train driver and found it invaluable
in
> > preparing me for being a driver. Now, we have direct recruit drivers
> > (from the stations, and soon from the street) and they are a problem
> > because they do not have the experience of first being a guard.
>
> Our Drivers generally came from freight, which I still think is the
best
> experience. With State Rail being broken up though, they've had to
find an
> alternative. 10 years ago CityRail took Drivers straight off the
street, but
> it was a big flop. Now they're taking them from the guards ranks,
with a
> short traing course which has also been a big flop. Part of the
problem was
> PC. They wanted to be able to brag they had 50% women guards, then
Drivers,
> so they were putting women through as guards regardless of ability,
then
> whilst they were still in guard's school they were getting them to
apply to
> be Drivers. The consequenses have been very expensive.
>
> > The skill in closing doors is not to be too assertive nor too
wimpish.
> > Look for gaps in the flow of passengers boarding th train and then
> > pounce giving warning of course - either verbal or door chimes.
Maybe
> > the gaurds do not get this advice.
>
> They blow whistles and make announcements and station staff use flags
and
> whistles, all to no avail. Some people will still try to get on as
the doors
> are closing, so then the guard has to open them and go through the
whole
> process again.

The trick is to find a gap in the flow of passengers. As you've said by
closing the doors on passengers (acting too early) means having to
reopen them again thus a further wait for the next gap.

Regards

Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.