Re: Signaller causes SPAD

<antstig@my-deja.com> wrote in message 8qdvlv$rpd$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8qdvlv$rpd$1@nnrp1.deja.com...

<snip>

> > > The skill in closing doors is not to be too assertive nor too
> wimpish.
> > > Look for gaps in the flow of passengers boarding th train and then
> giving warning of course - either verbal or door chimes.
> The trick is to find a gap in the flow of passengers. As you've said by
> closing the doors on passengers (acting too early) means having to
> reopen them again thus a further wait for the next gap.
>
> Regards
>
> Frank

On the trams we have passenger "Press to open" switches as used in Europe.
It seems to amuse passing 13 year-olds to press the switch just as the door
has closed but not locked.  Of course the door in question then re-opens and
pauses before reclosing.  At the moment with the Circus in progress
additional tram staff are working on the platform at Central Station tram
stop.  These staff are annoying both drivers and controllers in their
generousity in reopening doors and over-riding the driver.
Slightly OT:  On Sydney Harbour ferries close co-ordination has to be worked
by the deckhand and the skipper in timing the removal of the gangway and
mooring line.  They have a rule: If the passenger is running to the ferry
they will wait if at all possible, but anyone walking is left for the next
service.

Ted