Re: Signaller causes SPAD

$tki$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > The trouble is that there are so many times that drivers get
stitched
> > up for incidents/delays in order to cover up for signallers' error.
> > That's fact and if I did not "whinge" about this to the authorities
> > would have had several delays etc on my record that had nothing to
do
> > with me.
>
> Here, if it's the signallers fault, it's usually covered up and the
Driver
> will hear no more about it. I was recently wrong-roaded, challenged
the
> signal and was told the route was correct. I did my bit, so after
taking the
> wrong road, I again told the signaller who insisted I was on the wrong
> train. Eventually after a big diversion we departed the original
location
> again, 40 minutes late.

The only answer is for drivers to challenge the signallers everytime
and report every wrong road and signal thrown back in face. You would
be surprised to know that the powers that be quite often do not have an
idea of what's going on (it would be difficult to continuously monitor
all signallers and they and the Line Controllers are in a cosy game of
"lets cover each asses". Mind you it's great fun when they fall out!).
So the authorities are more likely to act when they get numerous
written complaints from drivers. When complaining be careful if you put
it through your duty manager, they are often part of the "I won't kick
you in the bollocks if you don't kick me in the bollocks" brigade and
may be likely to "lose" your complaint.

> > Is this the experience of CityRail drivers? Do they conveniently get
> > blamed more often than not for delays etc. with the service? I
would be
> > interested to know.
>
> They certainly try, but I'd estimate less than 1% of delays are
attributable
> to Drivers. Passengers cause lots, guards cause lots waiting for
passengers.
> Signallers cause heaps, especially at night when they decide to have
a nap.

We are OPO (One person operated) drivers so have no problem with
guards. I was a guard before a train driver and found it invaluable in
preparing me for being a driver. Now, we have direct recruit drivers
(from the stations, and soon from the street) and they are a problem
because they do not have the experience of first being a guard.

The skill in closing doors is not to be too assertive nor too wimpish.
Look for gaps in the flow of passengers boarding th train and then
pounce giving warning of course - either verbal or door chimes. Maybe
the gaurds do not get this advice.

Regards

Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/