Re: Signaller causes SPAD

Ian wrote:
>Anyway the fact that the signaller threw the stick back in the face of
>the driver (which he is entitled to do) would not have caused a
>problem.

This shows just out of touch Ian is with what happens on the railways.

1. Throwing the stick back in the driver's face will cause a sharp jolt
(train being tripped) which could throw someone old and frail to the
floor

2. Although there are laid down procedures for passing a signal at
danger once you have passed a signal at danger you increase the
likelidhood of something going wrong

3. It is not a pleasant experience for the driver who will worry that
he will get the blame, especially if he has any doubt as to what
happened

I can only speak for the UK but a signal operator is *not* entitled to
throw a stick back in a driver's face, unless maybe in a life
threatening emergency.

If a signal operator requires to take a release (wrong signal lowered,
change in destination for train etc.) he must check that all trains in
the affected area are at a standstill in the affected area (as a
release will turn all signals in that area to danger) before he does so.

Surely the same rules apply in Australia?

If a stick is thrown back in the face of the driver then it is the
driver's duty as far as I'm concerned to make out a report to avoid a
cover up which inevitably happens if he doesn't.

Ian, I suggest you talk to train drivers before you start talkling
about something you don't know anything about. By talking to them it
might help you in your design of signals.

Regards

Frank

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.