Re: Victorian sg conversion

James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > Locomotives last longer when they are operational. Mechanical things
> > deteriorate through not being used. Why can't Newport Workshops become a
> > working museum?

> They also deteriorate when they are used. Whenever a locomotive is being
> used, there are numerous parts that are wearing out.

True, but you also protect a lot of parts by keeping them in working
order. The regular application of oil, etc. keeps teh protected. Things
will wear out anyway, but they last longer when in working condition.

Things like bearings, trimmings, corks, etc get replaced many times over
the life of a locomotive, so they are non-original parts anyway.

There are spare N boilers available.

> On another point, I was a pity that only one N was preserved and it
> wasn't a typical VR N.

You could try repatriating the 750 from Port Dock. :)

Cheers
David