Re: Victorian sg conversion

David Bromage wrote:

> Locomotives last longer when they are operational. Mechanical things
> deteriorate through not being used. Why can't Newport Workshops become a
> working museum?

They also deteriorate when they are used. Whenever a locomotive is being
used, there are numerous parts that are wearing out. Eventually a
locomotive has to be repaired and this is when you lose the VR
components. It is much better to be able to say that the loco is genuine
instead of a colection of modern components that are similar to the VR
ones.

> > If it is "restored" we
> > will no longer have a VR N class locomotive as it will have to be
> > modified for modern operational conditions.
>
> The N is a fairly modern loco, so there shouldn't be much modification
> apart from the actual regauging. The only other possible modification is a
> Hasler Bahn speed recorder. Radios, etc can be fitted as portable units.

When you "restore" a loco to service you will always have to make
compromises. Re-gauging the loco is a major modification that ruins its
heritage significance as an example of a VR N class. You are also
forgetting that Steamrail is using more modern techniques to repair the
locos in some areas. While I have no objection to this with K153, if
this was done to the only N we have left we would lose an example of the
construction methods used with this class.

With other locos like K's, D3's, A2's, Y's, NA's, J's and R's there is
more than one of these left, so you can keep one in original condition
and then restore the rest to service. This way you will always have a
genuine example of this class. If you re-build the N in the museum, you
lose your only genuine example forever.

Another major problem with maintaining historical accuracy on a
"restored" loco is the fact that many preservation groups use
non-standard liveries, headboards and nameplates.

On another point, I was a pity that only one N was preserved and it
wasn't a typical VR N. Even so, this should not be used as an excuse for
re-building it because it is the closest thing we have left to a VR N.
In an ideal world, the N in the museum should have been restored to
service and a typical VR N placed in the museum instead.

Another common argument for re-building a one of a kind loco is the fact
that the VR used to swap and replace components. Even though the VR used
to do this, they are still VR components so the loco is still VR. Once a
preservation group starts to re-build it, it no longer contains a full
set of VR components because many components have to be replaced with
new ones.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: