Re: Victorian sg conversion

James Brook (ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > The proposal is not to convert the entire system. The metropolitan area,
> > Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and probably Warrnambool and Seymour (and
> > Leongatha) would remain broad gauge. Steamrail could convert an R or two,
> > and restore a J or N or standard gauge.

> And where would Steamrail get an N from? The only one left is in the
> museum and I don't think it should be touched.

Locomotives last longer when they are operational. Mechanical things
deteriorate through not being used. Why can't Newport Workshops become a
working museum?

> If it is "restored" we
> will no longer have a VR N class locomotive as it will have to be
> modified for modern operational conditions.

The N is a fairly modern loco, so there shouldn't be much modification
apart from the actual regauging. The only other possible modification is a
Hasler Bahn speed recorder. Radios, etc can be fitted as portable units.

Cheers
David