Re: Victorian sg conversion

steamfreak (steamfreak711@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Paul Hambleton <P.Hambleton@bom.gov.au> wrote in message
> p4QF5.6$DL4.2991@vic.nntp.telstra.net">news:p4QF5.6$DL4.2991@vic.nntp.telstra.net...
> > "Chris Gordon" <cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
> > 39E7D1E3.5C42AC52@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au">news:39E7D1E3.5C42AC52@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au...

> <big snip...>

> > Conversion to SG has been talked about for 100 years and even the R & J
> > class steam locos were designed with conversion in mind. WCR could still
> use
> > their R class.

Anything built after Clapp is capable of being converted.

> But what about the Y,  D3, K, A2 etc. locos?  I guess the WCR depot at
> Ballarat East would be quite busy doing all these gauge conversions.  Or
> will this mean the end for SteamRail?

The proposal is not to convert the entire system. The metropolitan area,
Ballarat, Bendigo, Geelong and probably Warrnambool and Seymour (and
Leongatha) would remain broad gauge. Steamrail could convert an R or two,
and restore a J or N or standard gauge.

With a bit of cooperation, the Leongatha line could easily become another
Victor Harbour line. Except it wouldn't be isolated.

Cheers
David