Re: Victorian sg conversion

"Chris Gordon" <cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
39E7D1E3.5C42AC52@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au">news:39E7D1E3.5C42AC52@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au...
> > > the
> > > whole split of Hillside and Bayside was made so that Bayside tracks
> > > could (and should) be converted to sg; Hillside ones needn't be.  The
> > > only rough spots would be Flemington Racecourse, and bg access to
> > > Newport Workshops (achieved via Tottenyam & Brooklyn).
> >
> > The Racecourse line would be easy to Dual Gauge, the only restrictions
are
> > on BG trains and that's 80kph. If any Connex driver wants to do more
than
> > 80kph out to the Racecourse, I think that we seriously need to question
his
> > sanity (speed limit 65kph). The same could be said for Newport workshops
> > Flinders St via Footscray.
> > With Alstom's workshops up at Ballarat, there would be major problems
> > getting Connex sets up there for major maintenance.
>
> Ok from what I understand the SG projects are looking at the following
> * NO SG suburban system.
> * The Melbourne - Ballarat line would stay BG.
> * Melbourne - Bendigo would stay BG.  (after all the freight from here
> goes to Appleton Dock, so SG is not an advantage)
> So you would have almost no alternative then going via North Geelong to
> Adelaide. (even if you could go Melbourne - North Geelong - Ballarat -
> Ararat)
> * Mildura SG conversion is a matter of the mineral sands project and how
> they want to ship the sand out. (ie containers or in bulk) Containers
> would go BG to Appleton Dock, Bulk would go SG to Portland.  (so if they
> go in Bulk the Mildura line gets converted).  There are many options for
> the Mildura line, but they would do the Robinvale line at the same time
> as the Mildura line.
> * Golbourne Valley lines would go SG (I think this is the first big
> one), so the existing grain out of Tocumwal, Echuca, Oaklands and those
> areas would be SG.  This also fits in with the Melbourne - Brisbane SG
> link (via Tocumwal) BUT the plans are to run this link via Albury for
> the first 5 or so years.
> * They have had plans for the Hastings SG link for many years (a
> different route to the existing BG link).  Reason this is getting closer
> to happening (10-15 years away) is our existing ports (Appleton,
> Swanston, Webb) are getting close to full.  Hastings would be the next
> big Container port in Victoria (this is all covered in the Ports
> Strategy document on the DoI site: http://www.doi.vic.gov.au)
> * The next gauge conversion in Victoria will start next year and will be
> the Geelong Grain loop.  (it goes to Dual Gauge).
>
> On a side note, because of the saturation at our docks, they have
> reached a limit of the number of truck and "big" trains.  So the plan is
> to run "satellite" trains from Somerton and Laverton from where the big
> trains stop and these shuttle trains would run all day to and from the
> docks.  (They would be no change to Dynon)
>

> Reference: Last ARHS meeting.

> [...]

If they are going to spend hundreds of millions on trackwork for the new
regional rail services they should make it standard gauge. I think messing
about with dual gauge (except for small tactical reasons) is short sighted.
A strategic decision to convert the lot to SG is required if rail is going
to grow. Then the work can begin in earnest. This is really a project of
national interest. For example, I personally know of a minerals project
(can't say too much) which has been made viable again partly due to the
entrepeneurship of Freight Australia. Road freight costs had made it
unviable and previously forced its closure. Unfortunately the minerals are
going to be transported to port for export. If the railhead had been SG
instead of BG then they would have been railed to Port Kembla for smelting
instead, keeping much needed jobs here in Australia. This is just one
example of Australia missing out because of the rail gauge problem.

The current broad gauge network should be progressively converted to SG. The
Connex part of the suburban network could remain BG initially while to
Bayside part is converted line by line with the regional services. Instead
of having Connex supply new BG suburban units, the Bayside Comengs should be
transferred and "Connexed" with Bayside buying new SG units as each line is
converted. Connex would obviously have to move their maintenance depot to
Melbourne.
The Vline services could be handled in a similar manner.
Conversion to SG has been talked about for 100 years and even the R & J
class steam locos were designed with conversion in mind. WCR could still use
their R class.
This time, let's get it done while there is some money around.
I nearly choked on my wheaties when I saw the article in the Age (25/9/2000)
which said Portland wanted a BG connection.
Of course the problem with all this is that with the myriad of private
operators, it will be very difficult to get agreement on such a plan.