Re: Victorian sg conversion

> If they are going to spend hundreds of millions on trackwork for the new
> regional rail services they should make it standard gauge. I think messing
> about with dual gauge (except for small tactical reasons) is short sighted.

For Timber sleepers:
BG --> SG costs about $16,000 per km.
BG --> Dual Gauge costs about $160,000 per km.

They would stay away from Dual gauge as much as possible (ie small
sections, like North Geelong to Gheringhap is)

Basically the SG of freight lines in Victoria will not effect the Fast
Rail Links. (But it does effect the Mildura Train, ie if Mildura goes SG
then running a passenger train would basically be out)

NOTE: I am only reporting what I hear at the ARHS meeting (John Hursh,
who is working with the DoI in the Gauge conversion area, ie he decides
what happens, was the guest speaker)

I too think everything currently BG should go SG (expect the preserved
railways).

--

C.

WEB   : www railpage org au / vicsig
EMAIL : cmgord at alphalink dot com dot au
ICQ   : three two nine eight nine four five zero

Go join VRN : www egroups com / subscribe / vicrail-news