Re: Victorian sg conversion

Chris Gordon (cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au) wrote:
> > If they are going to spend hundreds of millions on trackwork for the new
> > regional rail services they should make it standard gauge. I think messing
> > about with dual gauge (except for small tactical reasons) is short sighted.

> For Timber sleepers:
> BG --> SG costs about $16,000 per km.
> BG --> Dual Gauge costs about $160,000 per km.

> They would stay away from Dual gauge as much as possible (ie small
> sections, like North Geelong to Gheringhap is)

Even then it was cheaper than what they should have done in the first
place, i.e. build a new sg line from North Geelong to Gheringhap (and
possibly Ballarat). The line used to be double track, so there is room.

> Basically the SG of freight lines in Victoria will not effect the Fast
> Rail Links. (But it does effect the Mildura Train, ie if Mildura goes SG
> then running a passenger train would basically be out)

Which is why you need double track (one of each gauge) between Geelong and
Ballarat.

The other option for Mildura was raised by V/Line Passenger around the
time of privatisation - build a new broad gauge track from Piangil and run
the pass via Swan Hill.

In the long term, perhaps abouther 15-20 years down the track, a standard
gauge line could be built from Mildura to Broken Hill. This was proposed
as a broad gauge line around the time Merbein was completed.

Cheers
David