Re: Victorian sg conversion

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
V6RF5.71$my.5741@news0.optus.net.au">news:V6RF5.71$my.5741@news0.optus.net.au...
> Chris Gordon (cmgord@VICSIG.alphalink.com.au) wrote:
> > > If they are going to spend hundreds of millions on trackwork for the
new
> > > regional rail services they should make it standard gauge. I think
messing
> > > about with dual gauge (except for small tactical reasons) is short
sighted.

> > For Timber sleepers:
> > BG --> SG costs about $16,000 per km.
> > BG --> Dual Gauge costs about $160,000 per km.
>
> > They would stay away from Dual gauge as much as possible (ie small
> > sections, like North Geelong to Gheringhap is)
>
> Even then it was cheaper than what they should have done in the first
> place, i.e. build a new sg line from North Geelong to Gheringhap (and
> possibly Ballarat). The line used to be double track, so there is room.

How many route kilometres used to be double track and are now single track,
and where?

> > Basically the SG of freight lines in Victoria will not effect the Fast
> > Rail Links. (But it does effect the Mildura Train, ie if Mildura goes SG
> > then running a passenger train would basically be out)
>
> Which is why you need double track (one of each gauge) between Geelong and
> Ballarat.
>
> The other option for Mildura was raised by V/Line Passenger around the
> time of privatisation - build a new broad gauge track from Piangil and run
> the pass via Swan Hill.

BTW, why should standardisation of the Mildura line preclude passenger train
operation?
Standardisation of the Mildura line and Ouyen to Pinaroo would add a SG link
to South Australia.

> In the long term, perhaps abouther 15-20 years down the track, a standard
> gauge line could be built from Mildura to Broken Hill. This was proposed
> as a broad gauge line around the time Merbein was completed.

Wouldn't a connection through to Griffith/Roto be better as another SG
connection into NSW?

Broken Hill won't last forever as a mining town...