Re: Tram Announcements: another Victorian election conspiracy theory

George Dragicevic <georged@melbpc.org.au> wrote in message
37e4133b.5211523@news.melbpc.org.au">news:37e4133b.5211523@news.melbpc.org.au...

> Yeah I'm disobedient. When something is stuffed as is our metcard
> system and when they coerce the public for their own purposes to make
> up deficiencies in that system, well that requires disobedience. You
> do the right thing in your own mind and validate away. I'm quite happy
> with my stance on the issue.

Okay, now that the systems are privatised, you are on private property when
on a tram, train or bus. The owners of that property are quite entitled
toset whatever conditions they like on the users of that property. They are
fully entitled to throw you off THEIR property for not validating.

But you still have not answered the question I asked first - why is it that
in every other city in Australia with automated ticketing, holders of all
tickets (even long term tickets like monthlies, quarterlies and yearlies)
are able to validate their ticket each and every time they board a vehicle,
but Melburnians are incapable of doing so. You cannot say it is the system
that is flawed, after all, it takes exactly the same action to validate a
ticket in Melbourne as it does in Sydney, Brisbane or Adelaide. It is also
the same procedure as is adopted in a great number of European cities as
well.

There is nothing wrong with being made to validate every time you board a
tram or bus - so grow up. (Although I agree, having to validate an already
valid ticket at an ungated station *is* silly - why not just put gates there
instead!)

DaveP