Re: Use of new QR SMUs

In article <36dbc7b9.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>,
> >I think we're likely to see a
> >substantially improved Landsborough / Nambour service sometime
> >in the next few years, once track capacity permits.  If this
> >occurs, it would follow the Beenleigh / Gold Coast pattern
> >with an all stations service to Caboolture, and a limited
> >express serving stations beyond Caboolture.
>
> Actually, I think the service will probably be more of a Caboolture -
> Landsborough shuttle service based on the Rosewood style
> timetable. It solely depends on passenger numbers. If the Caloundra
> branch ever gets built, then a through service would almost be a certainty.

IMHO, a Rosewood style operation would be a mistake.  By the time you've
caught an all stations train as far as Ipswich (or Caboolture), then
changed trains, then run all stations to your final destination, you
are talking about quite a long journey time.  All stations trains are
fine for shorter lines like Shorncliffe or Ferny Grove, but asking people
to travel all stations from Landsborough to Central, and to
change trains as well, is hardly going to encourage use of public
transport.

A concept which is currently finding favour in European public transport
planning is the "single seat journey".  The basic concept is that
public transport usage is discouraged by services which force people
to change vehicles, or modes of transport.  The "single seat journey"
concept has been extended as far as inter-operation of light rail
vehicles over heavy rail tracks, ie. services which start at a normal
suburban rail stations, run over heavy rail tracks for part of their
journey, then split off to run on light rail tracks or even street
tramway.

> >triplication from Northgate Zillmere,
>
> Wrong. The third line should be extending through to Lawnton and the
> existing double track from Lawnton to Caboolture will be bi-directionally
> signalled.

Lawnton?!  Shows that you should always check your facts before posting,
that is the last place I would have expected the triplication to run to!

I checked the press releases of the previous (Borbidge) government, and
was able to find two references to the North Coast line upgrade.  Both
seem to indicate that the triplication is intended to eventually run as
far as Petrie.  The relevant URLs are:

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/archive/statements/2625.html
http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/archive/statements/3171.html

Of course, you can't generally rely on ministerial statements to
reflect any kind of reality - that's probably where I got Zillmere
from!

regards,
Colin Weaver