Re: Use of new QR SMUs

> > It just occurred to me that another reason for building extra
> > SMUs may be for a more intensive service beyond Caboolture - QR
> > are committed to duplication from Caboolture to Landsborough, so
> > it wouldn't be surprising to see a half hourly service there.
>
> With every second train running through to Nambour?
>
> I assume such services would be limited express to Caboolture, arriving
> just after a stopping train (cf Beenleigh).

Since the Gold Coast line opened, there has been considerable
agitation from the Sunshine Coast for a similar level of service
on the Nambour/Gympie line.  I think we're likely to see a
substantially improved Landsborough / Nambour service sometime
in the next few years, once track capacity permits.  If this
occurs, it would follow the Beenleigh / Gold Coast pattern
with an all stations service to Caboolture, and a limited
express serving stations beyond Caboolture.

QR is investing quite a bit of money on the north coast line at
present: quadruplication to Northgate, triplication from Northgate
to Zillmere, duplication from Caboolture to Landsborough.
New platforms, with overbridges and lifts are already being built
at all stations from Caboolture to Landsborough - by the time
the duplication goes through the up and down platforms will be
in place.  There is also a proposal for a branch line from
Landsborough to Maroochydore, or even a complete loop returning
to the north coast line at either Nambour or Cooroy.  I would
place this in the same category as the proposals I listed
earlier - political bulldust, brought out at election time
and quietly discarded soon after.

Colin Weaver