Re: Use of new QR SMUs

Barry Campbell wrote in message <36DA2AFE.C45A1B8B@qimr.edu.au>...
>>> A)  More frequent off-peak services.
>>
>> or
>>
>> B)  Construction of one of the proposed new lines (Salisbury
>>     to Greenbank via the standard gauge corridor, Oxley/Darra to
>>     Springfield, Petrie to Kippa-Ring, or electrification west
>>     of Rosewood).
>>
>> Option B seems very unlikely - can anyone shed any light on this?

'A' would definitely be the option. There is no word of any of option 'B'
lines or any other happening.

>I agree that it would be wasteful to just use brand new rolling stock on
>peak hour services but of course what would happen is that the older EMU
>sets would become peak hour only vehicles. Don't forget that the oldest
>sets are now 20 years old and can be expected to become less reliable
>with intensive use.

Yes, but keep in mind, all of QR's EMU fleet are undergoing complete
retrofit programs. Each retrofit can take from 10 weeks up to 6 months,
depending on the condition of the unit. They come out with new carpets,
apolstery, automatic PA systems (VAS), integrated door control - throttle
cutoff systems, new front ends, new electrics etc. etc.

I can't say for sure, but I think a new timetable is in the works. Possibly
a reduction from 30 min to 20 min off peak services. And yes, the SX's will
go for sure.

Regards

Matt Smith
Brisbane, Queensland