Re: Victorian Standardisation

>With all this money going on wheels, why isn't any thought being given to
>converting some Victorian Railway Heritage stock to standard gauge?  The
>writing is on the wall.

As with all groups the lack of action makes people think nothing is
happening. Steamrail have considered the possibility and you may have
noticed our recent purchase of ex South Australian carriages which are
easily gauge convertible.
We are also currently evaluating the gauge conversion of R700.
However, as the article in Digest this month shows the Governments of
Australia have basically given up on railway preservation and the voluntary
groups do not have the resources to carry out these exercises without
Government support.
Basically, forget gauge conversion and start thinking survival of
preservation groups.