Re: Use of new QR SMUs

In article <36daab9d.0@news.highway1.com.au>,
  "David & Jan Winter" <winterd@nospam-icenet.com.au> wrote:
> I understood there were severe shortages of stock in Brisbane, the Beenleigh
> line especially affected by Gold Coast requirements. I wish Perth would grab
> a few of the SX sets to augment their badly stretched fleet, but I doubt it.
>
> I wouldn't put too much store on ICE sets, only one tilty - too pre-emptible
> (~able?) to guarantee availability!

The Robina service is primarily operated by 3-car IMUs, with some 6-car
IMU workings during peak hours.  This is augmented by some use of
ICE sets, EMUs and SMUs.  If there is a shortage of stock, it would
primarily effect peak hours, there are more than enough IMUs for
the off-peak service.  You're probably right about a shortage
during peak 'though - that would explain why the 2000 class railcars
have been returned to service on the Corinda - Yeerongpilly shuttle.
(Catch one while it lasts!)

There are actually two tilt sets, sufficient for one service each
way per day.  Since the tilt went into service, there has been
increased use of ICE sets by CityTrain.   For example, on weekdays
the 9:55AM Caboolture <-> Nambour shuttle (XLS3) is worked by an ICE
set (hence the 'X' designation), as is the 10:53AM Roma St to
Nambour service (XL03).  Before the tilt train went into service,
Nambour trains were typically 3-car EMUs, with Gympie North
services worked by a 2-car ICE + 3-car EMU hybrid!  Now, an ICE
is more likely, with some IMUs working to Nambour as well.

It just occurred to me that another reason for building extra
SMUs may be for a more intensive service beyond Caboolture - QR
are committed to duplication from Caboolture to Landsborough, so
it wouldn't be surprising to see a half hourly service there.

--Colin Weaver