Re: [AUS] Radio forum on public transport

"Matt Cremer" <Matthew.Cremer@Aspect.com.au> wrote in aus.rail:

>Michael wrote in message <8E02D24D8telstraNews@vic.news.telstra.net>...
>>A car will also cost me at least $30 per week in petrol, $1000 per year
>>in insurance, (because i am under 25), $500 per year in registration and
>>a further $500+ per year in maintenance. That equals a grand total of
>>$3560 per year to own a car and take it to/from work every day.
>>
>>The train costs me a grand total of $993.20 per year.
>
>But surely you're gonna have a car anyway? So deduct the insurance,
>rego, and probably 2/3 of the maintenance. Sounds like it's about $500
>more to drive; and if you save an hour each day, plus the extra comfort
>and not having to breathe everyone's halitosis, surely that's worth it?

Sure, if you have ONE car. But supposing you are like quite a few
families these days and have TWO cars? If you can get rid of one of
them by using public transport to get to work, then you will make
major savings then. The sole car you have will now work more
efficiently because it is not held up in peak-hour traffic, less
maintenance costs, lesser accident probablity and best of all; you
don't loose your sanity driving in peak-hour traffic and breathing in
all those obnoxious fumes.

One car does have its place, Two cars do not.

Les Brown