Re: Tonight's Railway Adventures episode- Get the REAL Facts regarding Victorian Episode.

One can understand Greame Fergusons point in relation  to filming this
current series.
Despite all his valid points there has been an adverse reaction by VLP in
requiring SCIDS (Special Class Instructor Drivers) to travel on all historic
train special.

As Secretary of Steamrail Victoria, I can tell you that our organisation was
notified some three weeks ago of this situation, there has been no change of
heart from VLP as to the SCID dilemma. I refer to our recent tour of
Saturday 10/7/99 where a SCID travelled from Castlemaine to Werribee via
Maryborough-Ballarat-North Geelong. Steamrail Victoria has worn the cost
this time, but as with all business expenses, the customer will ultimately
wear the cost. This is not only for Steamrail Victoria but also ARHS-Vic Div
tours, ARE tours, SRHC tours, etc. Every tour!

Wombat stated:
>They show him driving it over the Viaduct and into Plat 12 at Flinders
Street, driving through a track gang and into the SRHC Depot among other
things. VLP has had a HUGE reaming out by all the safety watchdogs and I
pity any organisation that wants to do a film run in the future. The Special
Class Instructor Drivers are being placed on ALL Special/Charters, with VLP
as the Operator to appease (sp?) the angry gods! and the costs to the Hirers
will go up as a result.
What is stated here IS ALL TRUE.

Greame F. stated that :
>no time did the presenter operate the Railmotor
>Was anyone you know actually involved in the filming??The FACTS:
>At all times a qualified driver was at the controls.
>He either was standing a fraction behind Scott McGregor or beside him, just
out of camera shot.
>Further more when Scott McGregor sat in the driver's seat he was only do so
where there were no signalling , or safeworking involved.
>The actual scenes where he was seemingly in control was for no more than 15
to 30 seconds.  These scenes were then spliced together to give the illusion
of Scott driving continuously.
>How many times have you seen Politicians at the controls of a locomotive at
some special ceremony.  I'd like to see some bureaucrat take action against
a Transport Minister or Premier for this.  An unknown actor is a softtarget.

HERE ARE SOME ADDITIONAL FACTS:
1/ The driver must have been exceedingly skinny to have stood behind the
driver - there
     is NO ROOM THERE!. Anyone knowing the layout of a Railmotor will know
that this
     is simply not feasible. If it is a diesel or steam locomotive, then
this is a different
     situation.
2/  If Scott McGregor was filmed in the drivers seat whilst the RM was
travelling "over
     the Viaduct and into Plat 12 at Flinders Street" then he has just
driven throught the
     most concentrated array of signals within the state! Where is the
facvts in Greame's
     reply!

VLP were naturally disturbed and their actions are somewhat justified,
though, I believe a little over the top, but under the current system of
self accreditation and regulation this was the most logical action as they
must report any irregularities and provide a solution to rectify/ensure that
this will not occur again.

The alternative which Steamrail Victoria is actively finalising now is to
run under its own EBA and accreditation. If one of our drivers did the same
then a similar result may occur.

Think about it, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction,
sometime much to the detriment of many.