PHAs PHNs and Carriage codes (was: new XPT cars order)

Dave Proctor wrote:

> The Railway Rasputin. wrote in message
> <385B1434.5517E561@fastlink.com.au>...
> >Everyone lets not get PHA's and PHN's confused.
> >PHA's can apparantly be used with XPT's. PHN's no.
>
> Who mentioned PHN's?
>
> Dave

As I'm from down south in Victoria could someone clear something up
here. Are the PHN's the powervans originally built for the Southern
Aurora and the PHA's were built later? I hate NSW codes anyway. I think
the Victorian system is one of the easiest to work out:

A - First class
B - Second/Economy class
C - Guards compartment
R - Snack Bar
etc... Someone else can list the others! :-)

eg:

BCE - Second class E car with guards compartment
AW - First class W car
ABS - First and Second class composite S car.
BRN - Economy class N car with a snack bar

Although there are exceptions and some wierd classifications most
carriages are easily classified.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: