Re: new XPT cars order

Rob Kearey wrote in message <3859E9C0.CA8F1906@mailbox.uq.edu.au>...

>> >XPT cars use a wyrde form of power supply which the EL's would be unable
>> >to produce. So that's pretty much it for that argument.
>
>> Why?
>
>Like I say, the strange variable-frequency XPT power supply. Am I
>missing something here?

Yes, you seem to be. The PHA van was built to be compatible with both
HUB/RUB set rolling stock and XPT rolling stock.

The PHA would be providing the power for lights, air-conditioning and
buffet, the EL would be doing nothing more than moving the train. The only
connection would be the brake pipes.

>> They will have to operate with a PHA van anyway, since 81 calss cannot
>> provide head end power. Why would this be any different with an EL?
>
>If they're using Sane Power, then will they be compatible with the rest
>of the fleet?

Huh? Sane Power?

Dave