Re: new XPT cars order

Hi Dave

Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.umpires.com> wrote in message
83cqie$5br$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:83cqie$5br$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Rob Kearey wrote in message <3859E9C0.CA8F1906@mailbox.uq.edu.au>...

>From next month the first of the new engines will be fitted to a power
car... that car will more than likely live on the Dubbo for a month or so so
as any bugs can be found.... the west being the obvious choice because it is
home every night.. when that period is up 2 power cars at a time will be
removed from service to have new engines and cooling groups fitted, a fair
percentage of them will also be completely rewired... when they return to
service they will be run in pairs as far as possible.... at the end of the
fitout, with a bit of luck they wont need "TLC" for quite a while down the
track..

 only problem I

Yeah keep those diesels where they belong..... we will stick to XP's even if
they are a bit sick  :)

> >> Why?
> >
> >Like I say, the strange variable-frequency XPT power supply. Am I
> >missing something here?
>
> Yes, you seem to be. The PHA van was built to be compatible with both
> HUB/RUB set rolling stock and XPT rolling stock.

Now Dave, I am not so sure that still applies... whenever we have had to
haul XPT sets in the past it is with one power car attached to provide the
supply... as I said I am not sure whether those early power vans still are
compatable with with the XPT fleet..... I am open to enlightenment tho

> The PHA would be providing the power for lights, air-conditioning and
> buffet, the EL would be doing nothing more than moving the train. The only
> connection would be the brake pipes.
>
> >> They will have to operate with a PHA van anyway, since 81 class cannot
> >> provide head end power. Why would this be any different with an EL?
> >
> >If they're using Sane Power, then will they be compatible with the rest
> >of the fleet?

I think the argument is academic at this point.... the new cars will be
hauled by 1 XP, so the question of power supply for the cars is not an
issue... That is the word from the pple who should know any way...

--
Cheers
Jack

Queensland beautiful one day perfect