[VIC] Victorian carriage codes (was: PHAs PHNs and Carriage codes (was: new XPT cars order))

Just in case anyone was interested, here are the VR carriage codes and what
they mean as far as I know or can work out. This is just a list for VR
intrastate cars. Joint stock and other interstate cars become rather
confusing. Also if there are any errors please correct them. :-)

A - First class.
B - Second class.
C - Guards accomodation.
D - Mail/Baggage.
I - only used in BIH, Peter Vincent thinks that this
    might stand for "Intermediate car" as this only
    appeared when the H sets were increased to 4 cars.
O - Used to mean "Observation" when Norman was coded
    OS 237 in 1985.
M - Possibly stands for "mini buffet" as it was only
    used in the MBS and MRS "mini buffet" and "mini
    refreshment" cars.
P - I assume that this means "power van".
R - Buffet or Snack bar.
S - This has stood for "sorting" when used in the
    code for the BDSE travelling post offices
    and it has also been used for "sleeping car".
T - Terminal car for Head end power.
Z - This was used when some Z cars were converted
    into BZN cars. I assume that this means they
    used to be Z cars.

Some of this comes from Peter Vincent's CD.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au