NSW Carriage codings

James Brook wrote in message <385B3661.C94FFBE7@ozemail.com.au>...
>Dave Proctor wrote:
>
>> The Railway Rasputin. wrote in message
>> <385B1434.5517E561@fastlink.com.au>...
>> >Everyone lets not get PHA's and PHN's confused.
>> >PHA's can apparantly be used with XPT's. PHN's no.
>>
>> Who mentioned PHN's?
>>
>> Dave
>
>As I'm from down south in Victoria could someone clear something up
>here. Are the PHN's the powervans originally built for the Southern
>Aurora and the PHA's were built later? I hate NSW codes anyway. I think
>the Victorian system is one of the easiest to work out:
>
>A - First class
>B - Second/Economy class
>C - Guards compartment
>R - Snack Bar
>etc... Someone else can list the others! :-)

NSW was much the same.

A - Sleeping car
B - First Class
C- Composite
D - Dayniter seating
E - Head end power, non-air conditioned carriage
F - Second/Economy class
H - Guards accommodation
M - Something to do with sleeping cars, not sure what
P - Power generation equipment
R - Buffet

Then there were the car types - the HUB sets all had H in their codes - so a
set comprised PFH, FH, RFH, FH, BH, RBH, HFH - not necessarily in that
order, but the number of cars was correct - so there was one car with power
generation (PFH), two second class cars (FH) one second class car with
buffet (RFH), one first class car with buffet (RBH), one first class car
(BH) and one second class car with guards accomodation (HFH). Some modern
day examples are the XBR (XPT First calss with buffet), XFH (XPT Economy
with guard/luggage compartment). The XB's are a bit of an anomoly though,
and the Xplorer fleet is totally skewed.

>eg:
>
>BCE - Second class E car with guards compartment
>AW - First class W car
>ABS - First and Second class composite S car.
>BRN - Economy class N car with a snack bar
>
>Although there are exceptions and some wierd classifications most
>carriages are easily classified.

As they were in NSW - the designation "N" was applied to Southern Aurora
cars - hence the NAM, LAN, PHN and MHN cars - the RMS and BCS were oddities
though.

Dave