Re: [Vic] Fast train services to go ahead, says Govt

Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in article <39daec76.8271798@can-
news.tpg.com.au>:

>>They added to the revenue earning capacity by making them able to run as
>>leading units. Plenty of creature comforts for the drivers.
>
>S class ran as leading units since 1956 when they were introduced .
>What has changed to stop this.?

OH&S reasons. For an S class to lead, I believe the cab had to be sound
proofed and airconditioning fitted. The windscreen needs to be bullet proof
class, and I'm sure there are some other required mods.

>Have GNRs GMs also been modified in the same way??

Presumably so, since they can lead.

>>So a lightweight (114t) loco geared for 140km/h would be overkill?
>
>I wasnt aware that the Melb to Warnambool line was rated for 140km/h
>trains,but the ELs are now geared for 115 km/h to make them more
>marketable to the general freight industry..

While desirable from a gunzels point of view, I think the EL's would be
overkill for any intra-state passenger work. Having been regeared to
115kph, they seem to be doing well on freight runs (I believe there might
be a few that haven't been re-geared yet, but don't quote me on this).

M.

--
(To email me just remove ".spam" off my email address).