Re: [Vic] Fast train services to go ahead, says Govt

Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
> Cab modifications may add to the value of the locos if the prospective
> buyer also wants locos with the same mods , ie it depends entirely on
> why the mods were made and to what extent they add to the revenue
> earning capability of the locos.

They added to the revenue earning capacity by making them able to run as
leading units. Plenty of creature comforts for the drivers.

> I would think that ELs are a bit of an overkill for WCR , given that
> they run relatively lightweight trains.

So a lightweight (114t) loco geared for 140km/h would be overkill?

> Im a bit surprised that WCR didnt bid for the 422s that went to ASR.

I understand they did. And the 421s.

> If eventually NXP moves to using more railcars , then at some stage
> there will be an excess of Ns and Ps which would also be very suitable
> for WCR.

The Ns won't got for a while, and Ps are too slow.

Cheers
David