Re: [Vic] Fast train services to go ahead, says Govt

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000 19:10:12 +1000, "Steve" <hursteau@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> The obvious question then is , just what is the value of having a
>> lease at all, when it apparantly entitles you to nothing more than
>> running rights , which anyone can have without having to shell out
>> $164 million .
>> ie , just what did FA buy for their $164 million??
>
>The trains, and all the money the saved from not having to bid for the
>contracts already held by the govt run VLF...

Well what is the value of the trains?
The major value is in the loco fleet of which the best locos are the
Gs .
There are 33 Gs of average age 14 - 15 years.
Whats a G that old worth?
Well , based on the most recent sale of similar HP locos ,the ELs were
sold to CFCLA for $650K each and the ELs were only 6 years old .
That makes a G worth less than 650K.
All the rest of the loco fleet is so old ,it would be worth its scrap
value only,maybe a bit more for the X class.
The best value I could get for all the locos plus all the rollingstock
based on its age is around $45 -$50 M tops.
Even the VIC DOT in its primary infrastructure lease documents
value the rolling stock at only $70M.
This means that the contracts are worth $90M to $110M ??
Unlikely , given that Vline freight was making a loss when it was
sold.
Something missing here?

MD
 .