Re: [Vic] Fast train services to go ahead, says Govt

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 06:52:07 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>> Cab modifications may add to the value of the locos if the prospective
>> buyer also wants locos with the same mods , ie it depends entirely on
>> why the mods were made and to what extent they add to the revenue
>> earning capability of the locos.
>
>They added to the revenue earning capacity by making them able to run as
>leading units. Plenty of creature comforts for the drivers.

S class ran as leading units since 1956 when they were introduced .
What has changed to stop this.?

Have GNRs GMs also been modified in the same way??

>> I would think that ELs are a bit of an overkill for WCR , given that
>> they run relatively lightweight trains.
>
>So a lightweight (114t) loco geared for 140km/h would be overkill?

I wasnt aware that the Melb to Warnambool line was rated for 140km/h
trains,but the ELs are now geared for 115 km/h to make them more
marketable to the general freight industry..

MD