Re: [Vic] Fast train services to go ahead, says Govt

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 03:48:33 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>> In the case of WCRs locos, they may have good earning capability to
>> WCR,but if WCR tried to sell them to anyone else,they would get not
>> much more than scrap value for them.
>
>The extensive cab modifications would mean they are worth a bit more than
>scrap value. They were bought for scrap value in the first place. I'm sure
>GNR would be interested in them for a start.

Cab modifications may add to the value of the locos if the prospective
buyer also wants locos with the same mods , ie it depends entirely on
why the mods were made and to what extent they add to the revenue
earning capability of the locos.

>On that note, WCR said some time ago that they would have to look for
>new(er) locos fairly soon. Is there any progress on that front, apart from
>the EL rumour?
>
>Cheers
>David

I would think that ELs are a bit of an overkill for WCR , given that
they run relatively lightweight trains.
Also the lack of BG bogies for them would make it a bit more expensive
for CFCLA to modify them , given then that the modified ones would be
fairly limited in their use for anyone else.
Im a bit surprised that WCR didnt bid for the 422s that went to ASR.
These would be a lot better and easier to modify.
If eventually NXP moves to using more railcars , then at some stage
there will be an excess of Ns and Ps which would also be very suitable
for WCR.

MD