Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

John McCallum wrote...

> I have only been to Dorrigo once. At that visit in 1988, many of the non
> locomotive collection in Dorrigo yard
> had deteriorated quite badly. I would think that, unless the worst items
> had been put under cover very quickly, they would be almost not worth
> keeping today. I will have to get up there again to see whether there
> has been any improvement since then. I certainly hope there has been.

You will find a vast difference from 1988. Probably the deterioration you
have noted was the cars with masonite sides. It looks tacky, but its only
masonite. They have all been given a new roof and have been repainted since
you saw them. Some of the end canopies will need to be replaced, but this is
fairly typical for this type of car. Generally, those care are surprisingly
good inside. Even the set of cars near the home signal, which have poor
masonite cladding are dry inside and will be restorable.

Trevor