Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

Tony Gatt wrote...

> Maybe one day you fellas can prove me wrong by actually running trains up
> there, but until then, I am certainly entitled to my opinion of you
> operations, be it a very, very low opinion at that.

Why such a low opinion? Have you had a good look at what we are doing in
Dorrigo?

> Nothing would please me more than for your crew to run trains, but under
the
> current circumstances, I still have 50 years to live of my average age,
and
> I can't see it happening before then. Chances are the line will be end to
> end rusting exhibits, leaving NO room for any form of movement.

You seem to be saying that what we are doing is worthwhile, but progress is
slow. We are now clear of the legal problems that have dogged us since 1988,
and drained both our physical and financial resources (we spent about
$450,000 defending ourselves).

The earthworks on the future display site is continuing. If you have not
seen it, we are digging out the side of a hill at one end, and using the
dirt removed to build up the other end. The depth of the cut is now well
over 20 feet. We are constructing sidings on this area, and moving rolling
stock from Dorrigo yard, and various other locations onto it. For the first
time in 20 years we now have no rolling stock stored in Sydney, and much of
the rolling stock stored in Newcastle has been moved. As we have now been
isolated from the State Rail lines, all movements are being done by road,
which requires more effort and expense than moving by rail - how many 44
class have you seen on a low loader?

Perhaps you should have a closer look at us. It may change your mind.

Trevor