Re: Doncaster line revisited (Was: New form of rail transportation)

It could be done as light or heavy (PTUA has a preference for heavy,
personally I prefer light).

Heavy would branch off at Victoria Park and then have stations at (from
memory) Yarra Bend, Kew, Nth Balwyn, Bulleen (all in the Fwy median
approximately at Yarra Bend Rd, Chandler Hwy, Balwyn Rd and Bulleen Rd
respectively), then run underground with stations at Lwr Templestowe
and Shoppingtown. An option is to extend it to Blackburn Rd with two
more stations, one of which could be a park and ride.

Light could take a few routes, my preferred one being City - Nicholson
St - Alexandra Parade - Freeway - Thompsons Rd then at
Thompson/Manningham branching with one continuing up Thompsons Rd to
Reynolds Rd and then east to Blackburn Rd Templestowe, the other
turning into Manningham Rd, down to Shoppingtown and then along
Doncaster Rd to Blackburn Rd.

I used to be strongly in favour of light but Mees is gradually bringing
me around to heavy plus good buses. I'm increasingly accepting that
buses can provide good service and therefore its no longer as important
to put more people within walking distance of rail. Of course, good
buses would be needed to supplement whichever was selected.

Whatever happens on this longer term vision though, the #48 should be
extended to Shoppingtown immediately.

Vaughan

> The original plans had the Doncaster line brancking off the Clifton
Hill
> line at Vic Park (off the bridge and onto the freeway).
>
> The 1980 Melway (Ed. 13) has the planned route. It follows the
Eastern Fwy
> to Bulleen (Just past Bulleen/Thompson's Rd exit). Then underground
to the
> corner of King and Williamson's Rd, Doncaster Terminating at the
Corner of
> King St and Blackburn Rd, Templestowe.
>
> Stations planned were:
> Koonung - On the Freeway, near the Bulleen/Thompson's Rd Exit
> Doncaster - Cnr Willimason's Rd and King St
> Templestowe - Cnr Blackburn Rd and King St
>
> I agree that it is long overdue, and the Eastern Fwy could easily
handle a
> rail line (light OR heavy) in the Median strip.
> Perhps one day...
>
> --
> Sam Eades
> seades@bigpond.net.au