RTM 19th Century Treasures

Well, this topic again.

I agree with everything Craig says, BUT...... the RTM (of which I'm a member
and supporter) receives no recurrent government funding. That's a scandalous
situation but it's the truth. It has to rely on the income it can generate,
and that means running trains people will pay to travel in. Sad but true.

Personally, to my mind, the most important exhibits at Thirlmere are not on
exhibit - the mountain radial (unique and a treasure of World significance),
the Gilbert Bush sleepers (the only ones in the world I know about - and we
have a pair!!!), the rebuilt 79 class locos, both BP and locally made (not
unique, since we can see them in Covent Garden and Spain, but what a
collection), the 6-wheeler, the Mersey tank (which was the most powerful
loco ever in the UK when BP made it), 20N (the Kitson 0-6-0ST), to mention a
few. Yes, the condition of No 18 is shocking. But we can hardly blame the
guys who did that terrible paintjob on No 18 at Chullora 20 years ago for
not being great curators. They didn't have the expertise and it would be
unreasonable to expect them to.

But only a professionally-run and professionally operated museum could make
these items its top priority. That we don't have. All we have wonderful
volunteers who are entitled to pursue their own interests, since they do the
work and generate the funds.

What people like Craig and I can do is keep saying how important these items
are and generate enthusiasm about them. But I must cry mea culpa. After all,
I prefer doing research to pretending to do carpentry or whatever at
Thirlmere. Each to his (or her) own.

I'm just back from an attachment at the NRM at York, and have been to a few
other wonderful museums as well. (Not yet Naples, alas, in its 1837
workshops overlooking the bay - one day). It's great to see what can be
done, but all the decent museums have budgets around $A10 million per annum.

The RTM's (so far as govt is concerned) is ZERO.

That's why we have a very inadequate museum with a sadly neglected
collection.

Robert