Re: NSW train drivers still in dark over track workers

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 03:26:04 +1100, David Johnson
<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Tezza wrote:
>
>> "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
>> DJLQ5.107$3W6.6013@news0.optus.net.au">news:DJLQ5.107$3W6.6013@news0.optus.net.au...
>> > The Glenbrook Rail Inquiry has heard there are no requirements for train
>> > drivers to be informed when workers are on the track, despite three
>> > fatalities in the past two years.
>> >
>> > http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/nsw/archive/metnsw-16nov2000-8.htm
>>
>> "Asked by the Commissioner, Acting Justice McInerney, the witness agreed
>> drivers should be warned by radio about the presence of trackworkers."
>>
>> And when the radio's not working?
>
>Never happens!
>
>--
>David Johnson
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
>------------------------------------
>These comments are made in a private
>capacity and do not represent the
>official view of State Rail.
>C.O.W.S. Page 11.

Isnt the basic problem here one of "who is responsible for overall
safety of railway operations.
When there are discreet and differant authorities running differant
bits of the network the above responsibility becomes blurry.
Obviously,if workers are working on the track,then they are there
because the owner of the track requires them to be there.
It would therefore seem to me that the track owner is responsibile for
their safety,not the rail operators.
As to how such safety should be implemented ,surely this is up to the
mob who administer rail safety in NSW, the DOT.
Whats the Rail Safety Act for if it doesnt cover things like this.

MD