Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

James Brook wrote:

> They may not go belly up, but they are risking losing some of their
> collection if they don't put a stop to their continuing aquisition of
> items before they put what they've got undercover. Everyone here has
> concentrated on the condition of the locomotives. I haven't visited
> Dorrigo, but I would be interested to know what the condition of their
> other items are. Carriages are much harder to weatherproof than
> locomotives, especially the old wooden cars with the canvas roofs. Even
> if they are in reasonable condition at the moment, the task of
> maintaining such a large collection out in the open would be enormous. I
> think everything is important, including carriages and freight rolling
> stock.
>
> --
> - James Brook -

> e-mail:
> mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au
> Victorian Railfan Web Site:
> http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/

I have only been to Dorrigo once. At that visit in 1988, many of the non
locomotive collection in Dorrigo yard
had deteriorated quite badly. I would think that, unless the worst items
had been put under cover very quickly, they would be almost not worth
keeping today. I will have to get up there again to see whether there
has been any improvement since then. I certainly hope there has been.

John McCallum