Re: Dorrigo 19th Century Treasures

*snip*

> Ironically, if those who believe Dorrigo is unviable are proved correct,
and
> it does go belly up, it will then become NSW's Barry. All those other
groups
> who allegedly have their envious eyes on the collection will be able to
put
> their money where their mouths are and be able to then thank the Dorrigo
> pioneers for their forsight in saving the collection in the first place.

Somehow I don't think thats the point. No-one wishes to see Dorrigo go
"belly-up". Certainly not is financial supporters..

In previous years the decision was made by PB to start towards Gembrook.
This became the vision, and after hard work and a lot of money, the line is
in place with all its structures for all to enjoy. Although I have not
contributed to this in the "donation" sense, the money paid for a ride has
contributed to top up the coffers for more PB projects.

Had other Major opportunities come up, PB management may have decided to
re-direct the funds for the purchase of whatever, but would never have lost
sight of the "goal" being Gembrook.

Dorrigo, on the other hand have been "spruking" for years, and all they have
is an extensive collection.

> Somehow, given what they have been through already, I think this is an
> unlikely scenario.

Why have they had to spend $250k or thereabouts on court proceedures.. had
they followed their "goal", the MEMBERS money could have been better spent
on preservation of the line, or restoration of the equipment, like it was
intended..

I realise it is not an overnight thing, as with anything you have to work
towards your goal.

PB generates its own funds, funds that will pay for the restoration of the
Garratt, but those funds would not have been possible if you all spent the
money purchasing every NBH ever built, or Every Na, or every NG loco known
to man. Certainly you wouldn't have been getting up in the "early" hours of
the morning to Guard the train to Lakeside, you would have been getting up
to guard the collection.

And if things do go pear shaped at Dorrigo, all the "contributors" are the
ones who will have to face the loss. THey are the ones who should be banding
together as a team to prove us all wrong, after all, it is their money.

If they have no intentions of running a train, then say so.. I for one don't
have the time to physically contribute, but if I parted with my money, I
would certainly want to have a say, and I am certain I am not the only one
who would like to be guarding (with a uniform and whistle) a train on the
line to Dorrigo.

> Cheers,
>
> John Kerley

Tony.