Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

Colin Weaver (weaver@powerup.com.au) wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
> >
> > Colin Weaver (colingw@my-deja.com) wrote:
> > > The only part of ATEC which I think will carry any volume of passengers
> > > will be Brisbane - Toowoomba, and even that is likely to be on 3'6"
> > > following the same corridor (or as dual gauge).  QR will have to run
> > > diesels or separate the 3'6" and standard gauge tracks if they want
> > > electric - ATEC want to run double stacked containers which I doubt
> > > would be compatible with the  25KV overhead!
> >
> > QR is proposing to build its own sg line to Toowoomba, which would be
> > electrified.

> The information on the ATEC web site (http://www.aire.com.au) suggests
> that QR will be involved as a joint venture partner.

> As for QR undertaking to build its own electrified standard gauge to
> Toowoomba, all I can say is that would make no sense at all!

It was specifically an electrified sg line for coal haulage and has been
on the cards for some time.

> Firstly, there's a lot of 3'6" gauge trackage beyond Toowoomba

Which would eventually also be regauged as the first step in regauging the
entire state. Queensland nearly regauged the entire state in the 50s.

> Secondly, QR operates no standard gauge rollingstock other than the
> gauge convertable GSPE and some test runs of gauge convertable freight
> stock more recently.

They can build new stock. If it's specifically for coal haulage, they
would want to increase net tonnage per train.

Cheers
David