Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:20:12 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>The Government has now proposed a wider study for a high speed network
>from Melbourne to Brisbane. Since the Treasurer has said they will have to
>consider all proposals, this could mean a new call for experssions of
>interest. I've made up a list of those who could be considered serious
>bidders.

David you would have to be the most optimistic person on the planet.
No private company is now going to seriously bid for anything related
to hi speed rail until they know that the Govt is serious and not
simply playing games.
More studies are just that, playing games.
A hi speed rail line from Melb to Brisbane via Sydney is going to cost
anywhere from $15B for VFT technology up to $20-$30 B for Maglev
technology.
We are talking about a 2000 km hi speed rail line.
The cost of simply preparing a bid ,for such a project will be
enough to put off most interested parties , given that Speedrail has
just blown $25M .

Even if it is to be taken seriously,the time taken to choose a route ,
acquire all the land , prepare all the necessary EISs, get approval
from all State Govts will take many years .
After the next federal election , the whole idea will simply be
dropped.

MD