Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

David Bromage wrote:

> Colin Weaver (colingw@my-deja.com) wrote:
> > The only part of ATEC which I think will carry any volume of passengers
> > will be Brisbane - Toowoomba, and even that is likely to be on 3'6"
> > following the same corridor (or as dual gauge).  QR will have to run
> > diesels or separate the 3'6" and standard gauge tracks if they want
> > electric - ATEC want to run double stacked containers which I doubt
> > would be compatible with the  25KV overhead!
>
> QR is proposing to build its own sg line to Toowoomba, which would be
> electrified.

The information on the ATEC web site (http://www.aire.com.au) suggests
that QR will be involved as a joint venture partner.

As for QR undertaking to build its own electrified standard gauge to
Toowoomba, all I can say is that would make no sense at all!

Firstly, there's a lot of 3'6" gauge trackage beyond Toowoomba you
either end up with dual gauge, or you gauge convert all the southern &
western lines (losing more branches in the process).

Secondly, QR operates no standard gauge rollingstock other than the
gauge convertable GSPE and some test runs of gauge convertable freight
stock more recently.  I can't see one electrified standard gauge line
being added to an otherwise 3'6" gauge network - all that would do is
introduce rollingstock incompatible with the rest of the QR, although
admittedly there's a lot which can't run to Toowoomba already due to

In my opinion, we're far more likely to see some QR involvement in ATEC,
with the standard gauge component bypassing Ipswich to the south and
electrified 3'6" gauge joining the corridor somewhere to the west of
Rosewood, thence running to Toowoomba either as dual gauge or separate
3'6" and standard gauge lines.  The flat parts of the Toowoomba line,
particularly from Laidley to Helidon are already of suitable alignment
for gauge conversion, and with current traffic levels you could probably
justify converting the 3'6" double track to Helidon to separate 3'6" and
SG lines with long crossing loops.  Segregated trackage would also avoid
getting ATEC's double stacked containers mixed up with the QR 25Kv
overhead.

cheers,
Colin