Re: VFT/VHST - third time lucky?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:05:17 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>I should have added that some of the technologies, e.g. Talgo and Adtranz,
>can be done incrementally. You start by running diesel tilt trains (e.g.
>Sydney - Canberra) on the existing line at conventional speeds. Then start
>upgrading the line, and finally electrify.
>
>The advantage of this is you can be getting income from fares before you
>start building, rather than 3 years of construction before the first fare
>is paid.
>
>Cheers
>David

Theoretically yes, but in practice no.
Whilst the existing lines are Govt owned ,the private sector will take
no interest whatsoever in upgrading them .
Even with all the so called privatizations of Railways in Australia,no
Govt has yet sold off a single metre of its tracks.
State Govts themselves will also take no interest in upgrading their
own tracks whilst there is a so called study into hi speed rail going
on .
This doesnt just affect passengers either.
Whilst there is continued talk about a hi speed freight railway
between Melb and Brisbane , who is going to want to take any steps to
upgrade the existing Melb - Sydney and Sydney   Brisbane lines.
No point if it becomes eventually redundant by freight all going by
someone elses railway.

In my view the Feds have got to show they are really serious about hi
speed rail,by building a hi speed railway or admit that they dont give
a stuff.
We can keep inquiring and having studies till the end of time for all
the good it will do.

MD