Re: No speedrail, Badgerys creek or Kurnell

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:23:19 +1100, Paul Blair <pblair@pcug.org.au>
wrote:

>What worries me most of all is the inability of John Anderson to cope
>with his portfolio. He has been rolled so comprehensively over all the
>major matters he is dealing with that I wonder about what will happen
>in the future. When Mascot and Bankstown are sold off, I doubt the
>ability of the Minister to retain any of the proceeds for transport
>development.
>
>Paul Blair

The above post hits the nail on the head.
By not building Badgerys Creek the feds have effectively saved
themselves around $7.5 - $8 billion.
The sale of Mascot is expected to raise around $4 billion ,and
Anderson is now also talking about selling Bankstown.
In other words the Feds now have about $12 B extra which they
otherwise wouldnt have had.
Any money that some or all of this money will be spent pork barrelling
/ boondoggling / providing genuine services to rural and regional
voters in marginal seats at the next election.

Maybe the study into hi speed rail will cost $12 B?

In my view , the feds will get away with not building the VFT as most
of the public never beleived it would get up anyway,and by not
building Badgerys creek they have virtually saved two marginal western
suburbs electorates.

What is the Federal Oppositions policy on all of this .
I havnt heard a peep from the shadow transport minister.

MD