Re: V/Line Pass Fires the Boss!

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:29:21 GMT, james_shugg@my-deja.com wrote:

>In article <3a3f44fe.47483477@can-news.tpg.com.au>,
>  mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:47:22 +1100, "Rod [comtrain]"
>> <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>[snip]
>> >I think that this is the end of Passenger operations in this State,
>you
>> >cannot run a system without labour, and that is a fact.
>> >Anyone know How many People work for V/Line Pass? I thought it was
>about
>> >399, of which 120 were Drivers, but I am not sure this is right now!
>> >Rod
>> >

>> Why is this news surprising.?
>> No country rail passenger service in this country has ever run at a
>> profit.
>> When Vline pass was Govt run its costs were way above its revenues.
>> Simply privatizing the service wont change its profitability if the
>> same routes are run with the same trains and the staff are paid the
>> same salaries.
>> Its totally unrealistic to expect that country passenger rail services
>> will ever be profitable, thats why its called public transport.
>>
>> MD
>>
>West Coast Railway seem to be doing OK (are they profitable, however?)
>with their Melbourne-Warnambool service, along the same route with much
>the same trains as the old government service.
>

>Sent via Deja.com
>http://www.deja.com/

I suspect that running a single line through an area with a high
population base may be possible.
WCR however being a private company dont release details of their
business, which is understandable.
Having to run trains all over the state though on many lines is a
differant thing altogther.
On my frequent trips to Melb its common to see an N class hauling a 3
car train between Melb and Albury.
Having a 2500 HP loco hauling just 3 cars (150 tonnes ) simply just
cant make any money.
What percentage of WCRs trains are 3 cars ?

MD