Trams of Australia
Two Birney Lightweight Safety Cars were imported from the USA and entered service in 1924. One was built by Brill, the other by the St Louis Car Co. They were the last trams to be imported for the Melbourne system. They were single-bogie cars, the smallest of Melbourne's passenger trams, and intended for driver-only operation on lightly trafficed lines.
(See also: Adelaide's Birney cars . Geelong's Birney cars)
These locally-built trams were based on the Birney (X-class) design. 10 were built. Two doorways on each side were provided. They operated mainly on the Footscray system until it was closed in 1962, although some operated all over Melbourne in alll-night service.
A further 6 built, based on the design of the X1. This tram reverted to a single doorway on each side. An inclined windscreen, as used on the Y1-class tram, was also fitted, in order to deflect internal lighting from the driver's eyes. Number 680 was originally numbered 674, but the number was changed to make room for a W4.
Thanks to Andrew Cox, email@example.com, for some of the information here.
Thanks to Russell Jones for some of the information here.