Geelong's Birney cars
Nos: 14 & 15, 27 - 30
First introduced: 1924
Last withdrawn: transferred to Bendigo 1949
Electrics: 2 x 18.6 kW GE 264 motors, GE K63 controller
Size: length 8.5 m
Trams nos 14 and 15 were built by J. G. Brill & Co. of the USA for the
Geelong tramways. These two cars are the only two known Birney cars with
longitudinal seating in the world. In 1936 these cars were joined by four
more Brill cars from Port Adelaide (see:
Adelaide's Birney cars), but in 1947
those cars were transferred to Bendigo. In the next two years the two original
Geelong cars were also transferred to Bendigo.
Preserved Geelong Birney cars
- No. 14 (which became Bendigo no. 11 in 1949) is preserved as Bendigo 11
at the Bendigo Tramways. This tram
carries a little Bob Hawke doll, since he drove the tram at some time
during his term as Prime Minister of Australia.
- No. 15 (which became Bendigo no. 15 in 1948) is preserved as
Geelong 15 at the Bendigo
Thanks to Bill Winn for much of the information on this page.