Trams of Australia
Nos: 1480 - 1737 (258 cars)
Withdrawn: 1958 - 1960
Electrics: 4 x GE 247 (40hp) motors, PC-5 controller
Size: length 13.85 m
Built as a supplement to the O-class, these trams had enclosed compartments with concertina-type folding doors. They were given a nicer styling than earlier trams, and were fitted with more modern control equipment and automatic couplers.
Inside, the tram is divided into two or three separate smoking and non-smoking compartments with glass screens, as shown here. The seating is plainly wooden and hard.
These P-class trams were rebuilt to resemble the R1-class tram. The conversion was not popular with passengers, and the trams saw little service.
 Thanks to Dewi Williams for these photos. Taken at Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, USA, 1-July-1996.
 Thanks to John Yelland for identifying the P-class tram at the Old Canberra Tram Co.