Re: Uncompleted Railways

: There were a few like that, I remember talk a few years ago about a line
: that was to run from Huntingdale up the centre reservation of North Road
: past VFL Park and onto Ferntree Gully, the reservation was there but I don't
: think there was ever any act to build it, but I do remember reading about it
: in the local Oakleigh press at the time.

That is right and when the route setting panel was provided at Oakleigh
there were a few things that were provided for, first was three tracks
to Caulfield (track layout still shows that), a junction at Huntingdale
(once again the track layout here, all train need to slow to 65 km/h
for the points, unless on the down line) and last was a provision to
control Westall/Springvale.  That is the reason for all the empty space
on the panel.

See http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord/trains/signalling/oakleigh

That was also the reason that L. Thompson (then Education Minister)
picked the now site for Monash University.  There were about 4 to
pick from.  (One was a golf course, and he didn't want to destroy a
golf course, since he likes golf.)  To this day he still is not happy
that the railway wasn't built and made *his* University a better one.

--

Chris Gordon
http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord

e-mail: cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au