Re: Uncompleted Railways

Phil Carter wrote:

Orbost to Brodribb is interesting. Construction was authorized by
Parliament in 1926. Have a look at a 1946 Railway map of Victoria. There
is a dotted line from Orbost extending beyond Brodribb through Club
Terrace, Cann River, Genoa and up the NSW east coast with a branch line
from Genoa to Mallacoota. There's a Station Street in Cann River to this
day. How far did plans for this railway progress?

Frankston to Mornington
In 1951 the Parliamentary Public Works Committee recommended that a new
line be built from Frankston to Mornington, running in virtually a
straight line between the two. The necessary land reservations were made
at the time but only within the metropolitan area.

To Beaumaris
In 1952 there was a recommendation that a line be constructed running
from between Moorabbin and Highett to the Beaumaris area. Land
reservations for the line were made.

In both these last 2 cases, I can't find any indication of the
reservations from the street directory.

Beyond Glen Waverley
It was hoped this line would be extended and one can see this by looking
at the streets beyond, such as Glen Road, that provision was made for
its extension. I have seen an old map which shows that the line did
extend across Springvale Road for several hundred metres (and another
map which shows a dotted line extending for half a mile or so). Did the
line ever cross Springvale Road or was it a slip of the cartographer's
pen?

Regards,
Phil Carter.