Re: Uncompleted Railways

Roderick Smith <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote in message
01bef908$901fa480$782d11cb@rodsmith">news:01bef908$901fa480$782d11cb@rodsmith...
> Yet another worthwhile question.
> AFAIK:
> Queensland: many (mainly in the far west).  One was west from Winton;
> another was west from Cunnamulla.

Bruce Greening has already mentioned west of Dajarra in another post to this
thread.
The line west of Winton (to Elderslie) had30k of line laid, but AFAIK, no
trains ran on it.  It was pulled up during The Great Depression.

I don't know about lines west from Cunamulla, but the line west of Westgate
(just south of Charleville) to Quilpie was part of the Great Western Railway
act of 1910, which was the first attempt to link the Barkly Tablelands on
the QLD-NT border with Brisbane and Sydney.

The lines to Dajarra, Elderslie, Yaraka, and Quilpie were all to have been
linked together.  The plan, as i understand it, was to continue south to
Bourke.
Older maps from QR annual reports show the Great Western Line as a proposed
railway, authorised by parliment.  The Quilpie Branch still has the
grandiose title of "Great Western Railway".