Re: QR going national?

    Most of the old VR branch lines wouldn't be economical these days, thats why
they were pulled up. According to the contracts the new private companies will have
to purchase new suburban and country trains. The motive power purchased in the 80's
was 33 G's and 25 N's as well as the rebuilt B's and T's. Who knows what the new
private companies will purchase in the next few years. You must remember that for
the government, it wasn't worth buying new locomotives only to sell them off in a
couple of years. Freight Victoria is looking at introducing other freight services.
As for the Garratt, Victoria had no broad gauge garratts and only two narrow gauge
ones. G42 is currently being restored at Puffing Billy.

    Now lets put all of this into perspective. Victoria is only a fraction of the
size of Queensland. Therefore the freight opportunities for rail are less and the
route kilometres for the rail system are going to be lower than Queensland.
Victoria's rail system has been through a transition period for the last few years,
in which there haven't been many advances. Now there are new private companies
starting up and new privatised rail services. Along with Freight Victoria these new
companies will set out to make rail as profitable as it can be. We have no idea what
new locomotives or train operations will be created in the future, but I think it
looks much brighter now that what it was several years ago.

    As for the 50's motive power, what do you base that on? The closest motive power
to the 50's on interstate trains are several GM class locos operated by GNRS. The
photo on my web site is GM 22 which was completed in 1962. Apart from these, NR uses
their latest NR class locos and the Australia Southern locos are usually CLP's or
CLF's which originally date from 1970 and were rebuilt several years ago. The odd
ALF dates from the 70's.